What are your weekend plans? My parents are visiting, so I get to play tourist and show them the sites around the city. I am excited for deep dish and many museums. I am equally excited that I have the day off of work. Wishing you an equally restful weekend! Here are four fun things to check out while you’re chillin’.
Loving the art project From Scraps, creating special things our of the discards.
Extraordinary Routines is a cool page where you can glean wisdom from successful and relatable ordinary people. Tina Roth for example, the founder of Tattly and Swiss-Miss and way more, shares details about maintaining a sense of family for her kids even as a divorced family. I have known families who have these happy-endings divorces, where both sides can comfortably celebrate birthdays and holidays and make co-decisions about their kids life. It was very neat to read her perspective!
I am equal parts obsessed with and terrified by Michelle Griffiths Instagram. She doesn’t just slackline… she does yoga on the slackline. In insane places like the canyons of Moab!!! I can’t stop looking. She leads workshops, if you’re into that sort of thing. But HOW does she set up the rig???
Have you ever been rock climbing? I have been going on the regular and when my friend posted this on my timeline she summed it up with “This is how I feel sometimes.” No worries, Sara, after watching these I can say with absolute confidence that we are images of grace on that wall.
I know, I know. “Weekend Update” is already taken. I’m using it (for now, at least) to introduce my new beginning-of-the-week posts. Moving from Reflections and Intentions to something that requires me to be more thoughtful and genuine with all of you.
What I Did
I wore this alpine meadows outfit at a wedding. Apparently I became semi-famous as “the girl in the yellow shoes.”
Speaking of the wedding, we stayed in the most beautiful hotel that had a curved, purple velvet chair. I read this book front to end in that chair (and on the plane). Adding a curved, purple velvet chair to my dream apartment list.
I began the first of several administrative updates to my blog. I am hoping to expand in many ways, including affiliate links in my holiday posts, which will help me divert more time and attention to those details. I would also like to open up The Wonder Of to guest submissions. More news to come!
What I’m Going to Do
Go on a ghost tour of Chicago with some awesome friends! Even better, we are going on Friday the 13th! I am excited for this spooky evening.
Teach guitar to middle school kids??? Keep me in your thoughts.
Pay my debts and plan for the holidays. If I get those things cleared now, I should be stress-free by December. I think. I hope. Planning to give you a peek into my holiday travel arrangements, including details on multi-city flight bookings, and a top secret update about some of TSA’s newest changes.
Fall Outfits in Three Moods
-Donated to Gastropod through Patreon! And then I started MY OWN Patreon! Support the blog here!
-Not all reflections need to be positives. I partied too hard 😦 See the hangover cures found here.
-But I had an amazing time with people I love at the New Harmony Music Festival. And streamed my first Concert Window event!
-Keep posting on the blog each day during this busy week. Share music with you!
**most days, anyway. And I got that Hamilton post up!
-Reconnect with old friends I haven’t spent time with in years
-Stay extremely active (like, walk through the labyrinth pictured above) and eat right in order to counter the late nights I will surely be having
Again, see the hangover post.
Last week: Monday Reflections and Intentions
Today is transitional!
I just got back from San Francisco. The time change is only two hours, but the lifestyle change is drastic. As I am settling back in to healthful habits and waking up after 4 hours of sleep, I am also re-packing for a rapid turn around. With less than a full night’s sleep at my apartment, I am heading out for the New Harmony Music Festival, where I will spend time with my family and deliriously blissful time with friends that are basically family. I am looking forward to this next trip, but I really have been going at full force. Going on vacation and to a festival and to visit family… but still, going! It may be late August before I’ve spent a full week at my apartment. Today is about getting myself in order and resetting to the pace of the rural midwest.
I am looking forward to a long drive with music, my thoughts, and my cat…actually, not especially psyched about driving alone with the cat, really, but I suppose it will be nice to catch up with him after the long trip away!
Hoping your summer weekends are lazy and restorative.
Extremely Related: Travel Snacks
It’s the best kind of Saturday- full of spice and caffeine, color and nature.
Thoughts from today:
- I am on track to meeting my goal of blog views for the month of June! I am so excited and intrigued by the world of blogging and the flexibility it provides as a hobby or career. Thanks for all of your support so far, friends, and please pass this link on if you enjoy The Wonder Of!
- I have explored two of the best coffee shops in Chicago today. I’m kind of buzzing (if you’ve ever had 4+ cups of coffee you know what I’m talking about) but I am so glad that I visit the Currency Exchange Cafe this morning (table and chai pictured above) and I was so delighted by the hidden Pickwick Coffee Roasting downtown (pictured below). I ordered the Black Tiger, iced, which has ginger and chicory in the creamy espresso drink. Grateful to my friend Sara for the recommendation. I am currently sipping the spicy drink in the Art Institute garden!
- Cool thing: my boyfriend has his bass lesson in Grant Park today, at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion! Very cool. In addition to hosting amazing concerts and festivals, the pavilion and other Chicago parks plays free movies on Tuesday nights! It is a really sweet experience, and you can pack your own picnic for the calmest evening downtown. I saw the movie Brigadoon here years ago, and it was a great experience. If you are into quirky films you should watch this bagpipe-laden time-travel feature.
I hope your Saturday is as blissful and peaceful as mine!
A Saturday spent at the market is a Saturday well spent. How cute are these succulent boots? They would be an easy DIY/upcycling project for your front porch! And look at the happy puppy in the little red wagon! Happy Saturday!
Over the weekend I…
-was soaked to the bone by a surprise rainstorm
-spent time outside each day
-finished the book I’ve been reading
This week I will…
-start a new book
-visit my family
- My birthday is on Monday and I think I am going to make myself frozen peaches and cream cake, and maybe also this lemon tart. (Related: berry tart)
2. Have you seen this time lapse video of a cloud inversion inside the Grand Canyon? This is pretty cool to see, especially since I was recently there!
SKYGLOWPROJECT.COM: KAIBAB ELEGY
from Harun Mehmedinovic
3. We have guests coming next week and are excited to share Chicago with them. Last week, I discovered Green Street Smoked Meats with my new climbing friends and it is the best place for omnivores to enjoy barbecue and beer! When I was ordering a delicious pulled pork, I overheard a cook explaining that the brisket smokes for 16 hours every day! There is a great outdoor space, and the entire inside is warmly lit and smells of hickory and cedar smoke! There is also a coffee shop adjacent/inside the bar and a top secret ramen bar in the basement… it has a 3 hour wait because it only seats about 15 people!
I had never even noticed Huevos Rancheros on the menu before I lived in the Southwest. Now when I get a craving for it, I can whip up a fresh plate that beats any mild version served in the Midwest.
For a knock-out brunch in 5 minutes:
1 corn tortilla
Fry the egg to your liking and whike it is still in the pan, top the egg with shaved cheddar and let melt while softening the corn tortilla on the same skillet. Plate the warmed tortilla and too with green chile and black beans. Put the egg on top, it will heat the ingredients underneath. Zig-zag with as much sirache as you can stand, and have cold water and hot coffee nearby.