I am partaking in the Brooklyn Boulders “Beginner to Badass” program (read about my badass climbing sister here) and for the first time in my life I have to pack for the gym before I leave for work!
Here is what I am bringing to the climbing gym (where I also take yoga classes and catch up on work at the co-op space).
- My daypack, which is super compact and folds into itself. It has a space for devices (I keep my shoes here, in a Tom’s bag), and I tuck my keys and snacks in the front little zipper pocket.
- A glossier bag with deodorant, a hair tie, castile soap, and lotion for chalky hands dried out by climbing.
- My glow-in-the-dark Nalgene from Ball State University’s Outdoor Pursuits!
- A good read for while I wait for my climbing buddy!
- Allbirds are the shoe I change into for running or just walking around the gym (climbing shoes are not comfortable to walk in!) I also need funky socks to climb in.
- Snacks! Bananas and Clif bars for sure.
- Comfortable clothes! I always wear a comfortable t-shirt, sports bra, and shorts. A bandana is nice for crazy hair and sweaty foreheads. It is also a great back-up wash cloth.
Not pictured are the shoes, harness, chalk, rope, and carabiner provided by the climbing gym.
Do you have any essentials that I didn’t include? What do you take to the gym?